Thursday, August 5, 2010

Prepping for Spokane...

Well, here we go again…

Another adventure, another blog. I landed a 12 month AmeriCorps VISTA position with a non-profit in Spokane, Washington called Communities in Schools. I’ll be helping design after-school programming for an urban high school to engage students and lower the dropout rate (currently sitting around 33% in Spokane County). The job starts the 23rd of this month, but I need some extra time to get settled so I’m heading up on the 13th. This week I’m searching for apartments, hoping that something lovely and cheap reveals itself to me.
I’m really looking forward to living in Spokane. My sister and brother in law Molly and Dan live there, along with their adorable son Henry. It’s a relatively unfamiliar city, near the size of Boise, that is ready to be explored to reveal its cafes, bars, and hang-outs. My transportation this next year will be only a bicycle, so I’m sure to become intimate with the city’s best from the sidewalk. Plus, my girlfriend, Jessica, also landed a job in Spokane with the same organization (coincidence? not really). Fun!
So here I am, at the beginning of another journey, beginning another blog. I hope this one to be more permanent than the last — although, in my defense, traveling Europe was way too much fun to be slaving over the internet. In any case, I’ll do my best to update with news, photographs, and anecdotes from my coming adventures. Stay tuned!
P.S.
I graduated from college! Pacific University class of 2010, Sociology major and Psychology minor. Thanks to everyone who gave me support over the past four years and sent their love (and money) following graduation. These opportunities I’ve been given are largely due to you, and I can’t begin to express enough appreciation and gratitude.
Will

No comments:

Post a Comment