Friday, September 16, 2011

The Case for Globalization, and Perfect Scottish Mornings

Our entire globe has apparently decided to convene in one tiny country called Scotland.

In less than a week, I have made a ridiculous amount of friends from an incredible assortment of nations from all over the world. New friends: my flatmate from Buenos Aires, Argentina (and my other flatmate from Ohio); a fellow NFL fan from Mexico City, Mexcio; my Ceilidh dancing partner from Moscow, Russia; a fellow nationalism studies enthusiast from Norway; an independent explorer from central China; a peer in Social Anthropology from Poland; a social scientist from Montreal, Canada; a goofy rugby fan from Queensland, Australia; and another Social Anthropology student from York, UK (who studied at Oxford - wow!). The only problem I'm having making new friends is remembering how to pronounce their names!

I feel incredibly lucky to be at a university with such a global pull. The exchange of ideas and culture in the classroom alone will be fascinating, not to mention how amazing it will be to get to know these people on a deeper level. They all represent such a wide variety of experience and outlook; I can't think of a better place to begin my studies in anthropology.

On a separate note, I had quite a Scottish experience this morning. I went for a jog towards Hollyrood Park, which holds the rock face that is very distinguishable in most photographs of Edinburgh. Trails lead around the rock face up to a craggy hill locals call Arthur's Peak, the highest point in the city, which is quite an intensive climb. As I arrived on the dirt path leading around the rock face, I heard bagpipe music. 200 yards away in a green valley hidden between the rock face and the peak, a bagpiper dressed in traditional Scottish tartan practiced traditional song. The music followed me as the trail began to ascend. I decided to take a breath by some rocks set along the hillside. As I got closer to the stones, I noticed a crumbling building overlooking the city, tucked away from the main trail -- St Anthony's Chapel, as it turns out, built in the 15th and last repaired in the 16th century. I sat in the ruined chapel's doorway on the hillside of Arthur's Seat and watched the city move with the bagpiper's music in my ear. In that moment, I thought about how grateful I was to be exposed to this beautiful country, and proud of myself for getting here. For me, that was a profound and euphoric experience.

At the end of my first week of induction, I am feeling at home, enthusiastic, and frankly, a little blown away. This must be what the "honeymoon" stage of culture shock feels like. I'm enjoying it! Next stage: "hostility"!

2 comments:

  1. I think I missed the honeymoon phase when I got sick, and skipped right to hostility! oh no! Tell me the next stage of culture shock is better...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Will,

    It sounds like such an amazing place, amazing program, amazing experience. I'm so excited for you to begin classes and delve into this program. It sounds like a once in a lifetime experience. I hope your year is filled with perfect Scottish mornings!

    Things are busy as ever in Spokane - just got back from the CCASL retreat this weekend. September is like a whirlwind - ready for it to be over. . .it feels like summer is truly over. '

    We're missing you a ton and would love to Skype this weekend. Henry keeps asking about Uncle Will and Jess.

    Sending you buckets of love from Spokane. Keep blogging and taking pics - its great to know your world!

    Hugs,

    Molly and ALL OF THE BOYS

    ReplyDelete